Roberts Wooten & Zimmer LLC
636-481-4088 636-797-2693

Medical malpractice: Girl dies due to missed strep infection

It seems that the flu is being covered by reporters on an almost daily basis. Because of the number of people recently diagnosed with the flu, doctors in Missouri and other areas of the country may be quick to make assumptions about an illness, potentially ignoring other options that may present with similar symptoms. Unfortunately, a young girl has recently died, potentially due to medical malpractice, after reports indicate that doctors failed to detect her strep infection in time.

The family of the now-deceased 12-year-old girl reportedly took her to an urgent care facility soon after she was sent home from school due to an illness. They claim that she was diagnosed with the flu. She was reportedly sent home with nausea medicine, ibuprofen, cough medicine and instructions to rest.

However, her condition continued to deteriorate; she reportedly began to have difficulty breathing in addition to a suppressed appetite. When she returned to the urgent care, doctors determined that her oxygen levels were dangerously low, and she was sent to the hospital. While medical staff attempted to perform a test for meningitis, the young girl suffered cardiac arrest. She died hours later. Autopsy results indicate that she died as a result of an undetected strep infection -- an infection that can traditionally be treated with antibiotics -- that led to septic shock.

Unfortunately, a family is now left coping with the unexpected death of their daughter, reportedly due to an infection that is relatively harmless when properly treated. Those who are concerned that medical malpractice may have played a role in their loved one's death -- possibly including this family -- have legal options available to them. By filing a civil lawsuit, surviving family members in Missouri could potentially force changes that will prevent people from suffering similarly in the future through such action.

Source: People, "12-Year-Old Girl Dies After Being Misdiagnosed with the Flu: 'Something So Simple Took My Baby'", Jason Duaine Hahn, Jan. 11, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Get A Free Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Roberts Wooten & Zimmer LLC
10438 Business 21
Hillsboro, MO 63050

Phone: 636-481-4088
Phone: 636-797-2693
Fax: 636-789-4205
Map & Directions